Name:

I am a parish minister currently serving the Eliot Church of Natick MA. Eliot Church is a Community Church affiliated with the Unitarian Universalist Association and the United Church of Christ. Any statements made and postions held in "Unity," however, are solely mine(of course, they may be used with appropriate atribution). Therefore if you disagree, please do not blame the church!

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Sunday Snow

So, we've cancelled church today because of the remarkable amount of snow currently blanketing Natick. Naturally, we have forgotten how to change the message on our church phone so I am responsible for sitting next to it and telling callers that, yes, we are closed. Next time we will put this on TV. Next time we will have a phone tree, too. We live, we learn I guess. Fortunately, I doubt too many people will have any question. The weather folks are as excited as I've seen them. Plenty of opportunities to stand outdoors and say things like, "It's really snowing now!" or "It's snowing less but we think it will pick up...look, there's a skier!" I am happy for the meteorologists...

Anyway, I will probably spend some of the day catching up on my reading. Right now I am picking my way through three books:Saint Augustine by Gary Wills, The Gastronomical Me by MFK Fisher, and Our Endangered Values by Jimmy Carter. All of these are compelling, but I like to rotate them. When I get bored with the old saint, I can read about the culinary explorations of semi-bohemian Fisher, then when that gets too rich I can revel in the call to action made by our square-but-lovable past president. If only I don't get them confused...

OK, probably there won't be too much reading today, even though that is what storms like these are made for. My very pregnant wife expects me to have assembled the crib and the changing table BEFORE the new baby comes and, frankly, I am out of time...

Finally, just a note to say the the Blog Awards have come to their fiery conclusion. I, alas, wasn't even close to winning the one category in which I was nominated. However, I have enjoyed reading the winning entries and suggest that, if you haven't you should check them out during the storm. They reminded me how much our UU blog community has increased! Congrats to the winners and keep up the good work...

I must go shovel now. More later!