Name:

I am a parish minister currently serving the Eliot Church of Natick MA. Eliot Church is a Community Church affiliated with the Unitarian Universalist Association and the United Church of Christ. Any statements made and postions held in "Unity," however, are solely mine(of course, they may be used with appropriate atribution). Therefore if you disagree, please do not blame the church!

Thursday, March 31, 2005

What is a Meme?

Well, I have been asked to answer a series of questions by Scott Wells over at Boy in the Bands. He was challeneged to answer the same questions by James at Peregrinato. He got it from somwhere else. I am told this is called a Meme....

Anyway, here are the questions and answers...

If you are stuck in Farenheit 451, which book would you be?

I must admit that I am at a disadvantage on this question as I have not read Farenheit 451. However, Scott says that the question amounts to "What book would I like to preserve for all time?"...

I will start with Scott's runner-up, Precious remedies against Satan's Devices (1652). I, too, bought it for the cover. However, in real life I would take The Fellowship of the Ring By JRR Tolkien or Christian Simplicities by Palfrey Perkins (UUChristian Vol 47 Nos 1-2). It is quite likely that Tolkien doesn't need me to preserve his work, however. I will, therefore go with Perkins as this book has meant much to me and I have already collected a few copies for a discussion group some day.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

No. Really, I haven't.

The last book you bought is?

The last book I bought was The Autobiography of Charles Darwin. However, I should note that yesterday was my birthday and I recieved (and was delighted by) a large variety of books. Two of them were Beacon Press publications (New and Selected Poems by Mary Oliver and This Day in UU History by Frank Schulman). The other three were about this great nation of ours. I recieved America (the book), written by the folks at The Daily Show, What's the Matter with Kansas? by Thomas Frank, and a work by Eric Idle which I will, for the sake of propriety refer to as The Greedy ------------ Diary. Idle's book is about his recent tour of the United States and Canada.

The last book you read is?

Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian (for the third time)

What are you currently reading?

The Autobiography of Charles Darwin travels about the parsonage with me. It is best read on the porch. Also, I am reading the aforementioned book by Eric Idle, and If You Want to Write by Brenda Ueland.

Five books you would take to a deserted island

Like Scott Wells, I am going to assume that the Bible and Shakespeare are already a given and, therefore, select five other books. Also like Scott, I will have to think about this and update you soon...

Who are you going to pass the baton to (three persons) and why?

The Socinian because I love what I read over there...

Sparkle because babies have opinions, too

My Dad Because former Attorneys General read a great deal and because it would be fun if he responded.