Name:

I am a parish minister currently serving the Eliot Church of Natick MA. Eliot Church is a Community Church affiliated with the Unitarian Universalist Association and the United Church of Christ. Any statements made and postions held in "Unity," however, are solely mine(of course, they may be used with appropriate atribution). Therefore if you disagree, please do not blame the church!

Monday, August 22, 2005

Back To Work!

We are well into the annual church start-up phase here at Eliot. The RE Committee is getting down to work, Buildings and Grounds is putting the final touches on their summer projects and, with a little luck, we will be ready for "Opening Day" September 11. Of course, we haven't really been closed. Worship services, led by Dave Schwartz, Dave Miller and myself have continued every Sunday and will right up to the big day. However, September 11 is the first sunday that the kids will be back. Maybe they will bring their parents...

I am always excited when church starts. I hope everyone else is, too. I miss seeing all the people (particularly the kids). I miss the general busyness that comes with a full and active sanctuary. Summer is nice, but pretty slow for me!

An interesting thing has happened over the summer. It appears that the Churches of Christ are now being confused with the United Church of Christ! I am used to it going the other way. UU victims of the mix-up are shocked that such a liberal institution as the UUA is welcome in such a conservative one. Others people (unaware of the actual views of either the UUA or the UCC) are similarly suprised by my liberal social views and those of much of the congregation. I have gotten used to the confusion. If the Churches of Christ need any help explaining the difference, I am sure that their local UCC minister could help them out. Isn't it great that we have so many ways of experiencing Christianity? Seriously, it is great. This "name-issue" has caused me to learn about a tradition I otherwise would have never encountered.

One final note: You may notice that the "comments" are gone. I have been spammed and, sadly do not understand technology well enough to do something else about it. Oh well, there will be plenty of time in January!