Name:

I am a parish minister currently serving the Eliot Church of Natick MA. Eliot Church is a Community Church affiliated with the Unitarian Universalist Association and the United Church of Christ. Any statements made and postions held in "Unity," however, are solely mine(of course, they may be used with appropriate atribution). Therefore if you disagree, please do not blame the church!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Ministry of Organization

I realize that I haven't posted in a while. I have been busy with church and family. Eliot Church is in the home stretch now as we prepare for Children's Sunday and the congregational picnic on June 11. I am trying to make plans for the summer and for the fall. There is much to do with Sunday School Curricula and Social Justice work as well as the plain old communal worship that is--and should be--the central fact and blessing of our church community.

On the home front, #3 son continues to get bigger. Now, almost three months after his birth, his lovely mother is returning to work and he is turning to the (milk) bottle. We are digging ourselves out from under a mass of clutter and disorganization which will only grow for a while as we get even more busy! Like most people, we do not have a nanny, after all, and no real affordable childcare. Oh the joy of parenthood! However, also like most families our size, we need two working adults to make ends meet. So back to work she goes. Good luck, Honey!

In the midst of this I have been trying to organize myself in such a way that I do not miss any appointments. "Showing up" is a big part of the ministry and at this time it can be hard to keep track of details. So, after a few near misses (one of which really was a miss), I have bought a Palm Pilot and am trying to use it. I feel a bit out of sorts as I truly am technologically challenged...

Perhaps, in this new seminary we are discussing, there would be a place for a course on the ministry of organization. I could have used one. It wasn't until my internship that it was made clear to me the importance of knowing where you are and where you are supposed to be. There are also sermons and worship services to be organized, paperwork, and committee projects. When we execute them well and keep everyone informed, anxiety goes down. When we do not, we are more stressed. It is a pastoral issue.

Anyway, I must go now. I leave you, however, with a question. What was it that has most surprised you about your job (clergy or otherwise)? What was (or is) your weakness? No need to post necessarily, just some food for thought...