Name:

I am a parish minister currently serving the Eliot Church of Natick MA. Eliot Church is a Community Church affiliated with the Unitarian Universalist Association and the United Church of Christ. Any statements made and postions held in "Unity," however, are solely mine(of course, they may be used with appropriate atribution). Therefore if you disagree, please do not blame the church!

Thursday, May 05, 2005

UU's are Dying?

I suddenly have multiple issues and subjects I would like to post about, so there may be something of a flurry of activity (my own) on Unity. We shall see. However, the first thing I would like to do is point out (possibly again) an interesting sermon by the Rev. Davidson Loehr. I present it without comment, partly because it has been some time since I have read it. Loehr presents a critique of the current condition of the UU movement.

It is worth reading, particularly for those of us who attend United (or Union) churches like Eliot. Also, I will refer you to the sermon I linked on April 1's "An Interesting UU Christian Sermon". One of our sticking points can be a less-than-nuanced understanding of the institutions with which we are affiliated. It is easy to think of them as two monolithic entities existing in opposition to each other when, really, each is itself, a venue for discussion and debate. Also, the UUA and UCC overlap more than they oppose. Both of these sermons address issues currently being discussed in UU churches around the country.

So, anyway, click here for "Why is "Unitarian Universalism" Dying?" If that doesn't work just click the post-title.