Name:

I am a parish minister currently serving the Eliot Church of Natick MA. Eliot Church is a Community Church affiliated with the Unitarian Universalist Association and the United Church of Christ. Any statements made and postions held in "Unity," however, are solely mine(of course, they may be used with appropriate atribution). Therefore if you disagree, please do not blame the church!

Friday, October 14, 2005

A Couple of Things

1) Here is an article written by the Rev. Krista Taves that illustrates aome of the assumptions I am talking about. The starting point here is that we are a separate religion rather than a broader gathering place for people of various faiths and traditions. This assumption that we are in some way a cohesive tradition is putting the cart before the horse, I believe. I agree with her that not all faiths are equally true, that we need to emphasize the responsibility in our search, etc. What I disagree with is the context.

Also, to paraphrase something that Matthew said below, I do not see this as a "Christian vs. Non-Christian" debate. I see it more as a discussion between "seekers" and "finders." My congregation, Christian as it is, is also the spiritual home to many Atheists, Buddhists, and Jews. They come for the lively discussion and debate as well as the respect we show them. They, too, would be surprised by this new UU Religion that claims to speak for them.

2) Ok, I'm done with that for now. In all of the excitement of the past few days I neglected to mention that last Sunday we hosted the Natick Praying Indians and their Clan Mother Caring Hands Silva. They are the descendents of the members of the first church located where our's now stands. It was founded by John Eliot as a Christian mission to the Native Americans in this area. That, my friends, is the short version of why we are called the Eliot Church. We had (as we always do when they are here) a great time. Thanks also goes out to Don Peters, a member of First Parish in Sherborn for his excellent sermon. Incidentally, the Natick Bulletin and Tab had a nice article about the day...