Name:

I am a parish minister currently serving the Eliot Church of Natick MA. Eliot Church is a Community Church affiliated with the Unitarian Universalist Association and the United Church of Christ. Any statements made and postions held in "Unity," however, are solely mine(of course, they may be used with appropriate atribution). Therefore if you disagree, please do not blame the church!

Monday, November 06, 2006

REVIVAL!

I think you always have to write it that way (REVIVAL!). It is part of the rules or something...

I went to New York City to the annual convention/party/workshop fest of the Unitarian Universalist Christian Fellowship. The keynotes were Jim Mulholand and Gary Dorien (on different days). Mulholland has written a variety of books on Universalism, including the very popular If Grace is True. I am reading it now and it may appear in an adult RE program near you very soon! As far as the presentation is concerned, I was particularly impressed with his pastoral style and focus. I am a pastor, too, and am always interested in good ideas and good models of our profession.

Gary Dorrien was also good. His thing is the history of Liberal Christianity. Dorrien has written a trinity of books on the subject and teaches at Union Seminary. His talk was also good. Unlike the talk on universalism, however, it primarily fed the mind rather than the soul. No problem there. It is his job and he did it well. You may have gathered from previous posts that Eliot Church has been thinking quite a bit about its identity lately. For me it was useful and inspiring. I have much to read and think about over the next few days...

Tim Jenson did a workshop I attended on UU historiography. This was very neat, too. Tim, I owe you money for lunch, don't let me forget...

I missed many of the worship opportunities. I brought my family to NY with me so I spent some time with them interpreting the Kandinskys. Still, I did get to some of the offerings in this area and am very grateful to Chris Walton for his excellent Taize service. As I told him at the time, it was nice not to have a sermon! Thank you also to Fourth Universalist of New York for hosting the event and allowing us to tag along to Sunday Worship.

I have to tell you, though, that the very best thing about REVIVAL! (see I did it again) for me was the time I got to spend with friends new and old. People say the ministry can be lonely, but I think the better term is isolating You naturally live far from people you would like to spend time with and that regular absence can wear on friendships as much as on anything. It was nice, therefore, to get to go out, hang a bit and be, once again, impressed by how smart, witty and creative your fellow Liberal Christians really are. Thanks guys, it was a blast!