Name:

I am a parish minister currently serving the Eliot Church of Natick MA. Eliot Church is a Community Church affiliated with the Unitarian Universalist Association and the United Church of Christ. Any statements made and postions held in "Unity," however, are solely mine(of course, they may be used with appropriate atribution). Therefore if you disagree, please do not blame the church!

Sunday, August 06, 2006

I'm Back

Today was my first Sunday back in the pulpit after four weeks off in July. Attendance was light (as it always is this time of year, what with kids vacations and the rather amazing heat). Still, we had a good time. My mother-in-law was there (she was visiting from Maryland) and we had another visitor as well. I will post my sermon later, just in case anyone wants to look at it...

I do not take August off. Primarily this is because of the various programs that need to get geared up again in September. Sunday School, in particular, takes some time. This year we are planning some adult RE (Bible Study and World Religions). Partly, I just miss everybody. Two months is a looong time to be away! Besides, these summer sevices give me a chance to get up and shake the rust off. It is amazing how rusty one can get in a month.

I do have a confession to make, however. I hope it is OK with Peacebang but I wore a seersucker blazer today (yes, it was Brooks Brothers [click on "1930"]). It was too darn hot for anything else. This made me recall a post from Boy in the Bands about something called a "Preaching Suit". I wonder if these can still be ordered and if I could convince the congregation that I should use one regularly. I assume that one would need to wear a carnation or something similar to generate the full effect...

Finally, yesterday was the NFL Football Hall of Fame induction. Among the inductees was the Rev. Reggie White. Here is a sermon inspired by Mr. White that I wrote shortly after he died. Sure, I don't talk about him a lot but still...