Name:

I am a parish minister currently serving the Eliot Church of Natick MA. Eliot Church is a Community Church affiliated with the Unitarian Universalist Association and the United Church of Christ. Any statements made and postions held in "Unity," however, are solely mine(of course, they may be used with appropriate atribution). Therefore if you disagree, please do not blame the church!

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Voting is Fun!

I voted. It was fun.

Actually, I am much more interested in finding out about races in other parts of the country. The fight for Congress has taken on epic trappings these past few weeks and I have been swept up in all the excitement. Unlike many Democrats, however, I am not as sure about our chances. After all, there are some pretty funny looking districts out there and many of them (thanks to the years of Republican control on both the federal and state levels) are controlled by conservatives. Still, I would love to be proven overly pessimistic! The Governors reces look better to me, after all, you cannot gerrymander a state.

However, as my dad always likes to remind me, there are important local races to consider. Also, there are statewide offices farther down the ticket. State Attorneys General and Secretarys of State, for example, have a great deal of power within their juristictions (sp?) and with the current administration continuing in office, these postions have become important in the arena of regional and national regulation. I am thinking, of course, about the tobacco industry and Microsoft, but really there are many other, less well publicized cases of state class-action suits...I am officially out of my element and will refer you to Dad's AG Blog if he ever updates it. Still, remember to fill out the entire ballot, people!

When I was growing up, my parents would keep us home from school the day after Election Day so that we could stay up and watch the returns. Tonight it will be just me and Son #3 as the wife has to work and the other boys will be going to school tomorrow. After all, back then it was the day that we found out if Dad still had a job. Now that is not the case. the position of Pastor of the Eliot Church is, in fact, an elected position as many a Congregationalist minister can tell you, but it is a different election cycle.

That fact, is an important one, however, as voting is a part of our faith and our tradition. If we do not allow ourselves to let other people make decision for us on matters of faith, then why, dear God, would we let other decisions and policies be made without our input and presence? Also, it is important to vote, even if you think your guy or gal will be fine without you. The number of voters (sometimes regardless of who they actually voted for) help to keep our politicians accountable and us powerful. Maybe it is because I was raised among politicians, but I haven't always been impressed by the creativity and critical thinking skills of our leaders. This is true for both self-prefessed liberals and their opposite numbers. They need to hear from us and respond to us, otherwise (and this is particularly true the more powerful the office) it is hard for them to get away from that mirror in the morning and remember that they work for someone important, namely us.

So go vote, and then tell Philocrites about it.